Monday, August 15, 2022

For Christ also suffered once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, that he might bring us to God[.]

 2 Samuel 12

For Christ also suffered once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, that he might bring us to God[.]  1 Peter 3:18a

As my vacation continues for another two days, I pause from my study of both Isaiah and Proverbs to listen to DesiringGod.com's daily devotion, which focuses on the gifts of the gospel, primarily unity with God as sin separates us from Him but Christ's death on the cross reconciles us to Him. In this devotion, John Piper outlines not just this gift but other gifts of the gospel that are made possible via this reconciliation:

  • We are forgiven so that our guilt does not keep us away from God.
  • We are justified so that our condemnation does not keep us away from God.
  • God is propitiated so that his wrath doesn’t stand between us and God as our Father.
  • We are given eternal life now, with new bodies in the resurrection, so that we have the capacities for being with God forever and enjoying God to the fullest.

God Himself and our ability to be with Him anytime and forever are the greatest gifts of all time - full stop. Thank You Jesus!

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Jesus, thank You for willingly laying down Your life so that I could be forgiven, justified, reconciled to You, and in so doing, given fullness of life now and forever!  Amazing!  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving!  My sin is great and it continues.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.