Thursday, August 11, 2022

To this end we always pray for you, that our God may make you worthy of his calling and may fulfill every resolve for good and every work of faith by his power, so that the name of our Lord Jesus may be glorified in you, and you in him, according to the grace of our God and the Lord Jesus Christ.

2 Thessalonians 1

To this end we always pray for you, that our God may make you worthy of his calling and may fulfill every resolve for good and every work of faith by his power, so that the name of our Lord Jesus may be glorified in you, and you in him, according to the grace of our God and the Lord Jesus Christ. 2 Thessalonians 1:11-12

As I continue my vacation in Maine, I maintain a pause on my studies of both Isaiah and Proverbs, and tonight and throughout my vacation I will use DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotionals - today's focuses on how God's grace should be recognized not only as an undeserved act in the past but also a form of power in the future.  In the devotional John Piper seeks for us to fully appreciate how grace is a form of power.  He unpacks 2 Thessalonians 1:12: "[t]he power that actually works in our lives to make Christ-exalting obedience possible is an exertion of the grace of God."  He uses 1 Corinthians 15:10 to underscore his point, then states again: "[s]o, grace is an active, present, transformative, obedience-enabling power." He describes this past and future grace as a cascading waterfall that keeps flowing.  For the grace we have already experienced, we should be thankful.  For the grace we are to experience (as power), we should trust.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God who loves me and who is full of grace for me as an eternal cascading waterfall - thank You Jesus!  I can trust in Your grace - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such blessings and grace.  My sin is daily - anger, impatience, etc. Help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me. Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.