Saturday, August 13, 2022

Stolen water is sweet, and bread eaten in secret is pleasant.

Proverbs 9

Stolen water is sweet, and bread eaten in secret is pleasant. Proverbs 9:17

On the back half of my vacation in Maine, I continue my study of Proverbs 9.  Here, my study unpacks how wisdom contrasts with folly. Attributes of someone seeking wisdom include humility and a desire for feedback and instruction (v9-10) versus someone seeking folly who does not fear the Lord nor does he seek reproval or feedback (v7-8).  This is an important litmus test as we journey in our faith.  We are tempted to seek folly as the benefits may seem "sweet" or "pleasant" but we should validate the extent to which our journey is one of humility.  Others should look for fruits of the Spirit (see Galatians 5:16-24).  We should also surround ourselves with brothers and sisters in Christ (Proverbs 27:17) who can help us detect when we fall prey to the temptations that seek to distract us from pursuit of wisdom (vs folly).

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God and Your path is straight and You light my way and You keep my feet steady - thank You Jesus for helping me stay on the path of wisdom.  I am not deserving of how You lead me and protect me.  My sin is great and I often wander off Your path.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.