Saturday, August 27, 2022

Then comes the end, when he delivers the kingdom to God the Father after destroying every rule and every authority and power. For he must reign until he has put all his enemies under his feet.

1 Corinthians 15

Then comes the end, when he delivers the kingdom to God the Father after destroying every rule and every authority and power. For he must reign until he has put all his enemies under his feet. 1 Corinthians 15:24-25

I pause on both my studies of Isaiah and Proverbs to listen to DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotion - which today focuses on the extent to which God reigns, including a discussion of boundaries or limits, and a discussion of timing.  This devotion of course draws on John Piper's extensive thinking and writing on God's reign, particularly his book Providence. The reason Piper addresses these questions is to provide encouragement for believers in the daily battle against temptation and sin - Piper writes: "[t]here is no disease, no addiction, no demon, no bad habit, no fault, no vice, no weakness, no temper, no moodiness, no pride, no self-pity, no strife, no jealousy, no perversion, no greed, no laziness that Christ will not overcome as the enemy of his honor. And the encouragement in that promise is that when you set yourself to do battle with the enemies of your faith and your holiness, you will not fight alone."  Bottom line: God's reign of course does not start at the end - it is has been, is, and will be forever and ever.  Piper writes: "Jesus Christ is now, in this age, putting all his enemies under his feet."  Believers should be encouraged not just that God reigns, but also because we are never alone.  We have the Holy Spirit, God's Word, the church, our brothers and sisters in Christ, etc. 

Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places. Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm. Stand therefore, having fastened on the belt of truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness, and, as shoes for your feet, having put on the readiness given by the gospel of peace. In all circumstances take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming darts of the evil one; and take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God, praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. Ephesians 6:10-18

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God and You are more powerful than any force of darkness that exists - thank You for giving me the strength of Your might to defeat sin and darkness and my life.  I am not deserving of such blessings.  My sin is great and I often fall down in my faith.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin. Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.