Tuesday, August 23, 2022

[W]hen he comes on that day to be glorified in his saints, and to be marveled at among all who have believed, because our testimony to you was believed.

2 Thessalonians 1

[W]hen he comes on that day to be glorified in his saints, and to be marveled at among all who have believed, because our testimony to you was believed. 2 Thessalonians 1:10

I pause on both my studies of Isaiah and Proverbs to listen to DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotion - which today focuses on how we can reconcile how followers of Christ are commanded to seek humility (and glory of Christ), yet Christ Himself seeks glory for Himself.  This at first glance seems to be a contradictory pursuit by God - He commands others to pursue humility (not to exalt self) while He seeks to exalt Himself.  In the devotion, John Piper uses 1 Corinthians 13:5 as text where others might see this as a contradictory pursuit.  Piper refutes that this is a contradictory pursuit by God by first stating that "[b]ecause God is unique as an all-glorious, totally self-sufficient Being, he must be for himself if he is to be for us. The rules of humility that belong to a creature cannot apply in the same way to its Creator."  He then goes on to state that "[i]f God should turn away from himself as the Source of infinite joy, he would cease to be God. He would deny the infinite worth of his own glory. He would imply that there is something more valuable outside himself. He would commit idolatry....This would be no gain for us." We should of course seek humility, as this is one of the most prominent themes and commands in the Bible, and recognize that we exist to glorify God...and not stumble on how God seeks glory for Himself.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an incredible God who loves me and who is full of love, compassion, grace, etc. for me and You are worthy of my efforts to glorify You.  You are my all in all - thank You Jesus for all that You are and for all that You have done and will continue to do for me to save me and to never leave or forsake me!  I am not deserving of these blessings nor any of the blessings You pour for me.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.