Wednesday, May 22, 2024

Abraham said, “God will provide for himself the lamb for a burnt offering, my son.”

 Psalm 23 and Genesis 22:9-14

Abraham said, “God will provide for himself the lamb for a burnt offering, my son.” Genesis 22:8

I continue my pause of my study of Jude to use Tony Evan's The Power of God's Names sermon outline series - maintaining focusing on Message Four: Jehovah Rohi and Jehovah Jireh.  Today, I focus on those sermon notes that stand out to me.  Sermon Point 7 in particular stands out: Believe God Has A Plan Even When It Doesn't Make Sense.  For anyone that has children, there are often many times when we don't see what God is doing in the lives of our children, and it can often be anxiety-ridden. In Genesis 21, God provides Abraham and Sarah a child of their own (vs Ishmael via Hagar), despite their advanced years - fulfilling a promise He made.  In Genesis 22:2, God calls Abraham to offer his only son as a sacrifice - this is a test indeed and I can't imagine how anyone would not be anxiety ridden over this request! Yet the sermon notes point out how (thank you Tony Evans!) in v8 Abraham trusted that God had a plan to provide a lamb for the sacrifice.  The sermon notes continue and encourage us to understand for ourselves the Issac in our lives that we hold dearly that we cannot give back to God, trusting Him to provide.  For me, this is my children and I pray that I can trust God that He is faithful and give me vision to see that He will provide. 

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who provides for all of my needs - physical, emotional, and spiritual - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of how You provide. My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of Your heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please continue heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.