Monday, May 6, 2024

Woe to them! For they walked in the way of Cain and abandoned themselves for the sake of gain to Balaam’s error and perished in Korah’s rebellion.

Jude

Woe to them! For they walked in the way of Cain and abandoned themselves for the sake of gain to Balaam’s error and perished in Korah’s rebellion. Jude 11

I proceed with my study of Jude using the Christ-Centered Exposition commentary series volume for this book.  Today, my study consists of a review of Jude 11-16, with a focus on an unassisted review of the first division per the commentary - v11.  Here Jude warns us of the fate that befalls the false teachers discussed in the previous verses of Jude including v4 where Jude calls them out for how they "pervert[ed] the grace of our God into sensuality and den[ied]" the authority and sovereignty of Jesus Christ.  Jude further describes their sin by comparing them first to Cain whose offering to God failed to reflect a heart of faith and he killed his brother out of jealousy (see Genesis 4).  Second, Jude compared the false teachers to Balaam who sought reward from Balak, the king of Moab who was seeking a curse upon Israel as the Israelites were moving towards the promised land (see also here) - ultimately it was the Moabites themselves and their idol worship that drew Israel into sin.  Finally, Jude compares the false teachers of his day to Korah and the rebellion he led in the wilderness where Korah "usurp[ed] the authority of God and of those whom He has chosen to be leaders of His people." There are many contemporary equivalents to false teachers who pervert the gospel for their own gain and we must both carefully discern truth for ourselves and seek out churches and other influences that focus on Truth.  

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who gives me Your Word, the church, wise counsel, and other resources/influences to help me discern and obey Truth.  Thank You Jesus!  I am blessed by the Truth.  Yet I am undeserving of the love and blessing that comes with the Truth.  My sin is great and it continues...please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior. Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.