Friday, May 17, 2024

And have mercy on those who doubt; save others by snatching them out of the fire; to others show mercy with fear, hating even the garment stained by the flesh.

Jude

And have mercy on those who doubt; save others by snatching them out of the fire; to others show mercy with fear, hating even the garment stained by the flesh. Jude 22-23

I proceed with my study of Jude using the Christ-Centered Exposition commentary series volume for this book.  Today, my study consists of a review of Jude 17-23, with a focus on an unassisted review of the third division per the commentary - vv22-23.  In light of Jude's previous words that warn us of false teachers, and how in v20-21 (see post here and here) where we are encouraged to grow in the scriptures, pray in the spirit, and wait for the Savior, Jude turns to believers to show mercy, first to those who doubt and even to others, such as those who sin and reject God.  I have people in my life that doubt and indeed and I pray for their faith and salvation and I seek to demonstrate mercy for them such that my example of mercy plus my witness to them can play a role in Jesus making them one of His elect.  For those "others" that include those who reject Jesus, God wants us to show mercy to these people as well. Love of God is the most important commandment followed by love of others and no where in the Bible are there qualifiers to say don't love when a person does this or that.  We should always love...even when someone persecutes you.  This is difficult indeed.  We should hate and abhor sin generally and how it enslaves and for some condemns them (when they reject God)...but most of all we should love and it is through this love that mercy appears. 

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are SO good...and You are SO good to me....demonstrating both mercy and grace to me...and I am clearly undeserving...my own sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith. Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.