Monday, May 20, 2024

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD forever....So Abraham called the name of that place, "The LORD will provide"; as it is said to this day, "On the mount of the LORD it shall be provided."

Psalm 23 and Genesis 22:9-14

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD forever....So Abraham called the name of that place, "The LORD will provide"; as it is said to this day, "On the mount of the LORD it shall be provided." Psalm 23, Genesis 22:14

Today I pause my study of Jude to use Tony Evan's The Power of God's Names sermon outline series - focusing on Message Four: Jehovah Rohi and Jehovah Jireh.  Dr. Evans starts by sharing that the goal of this message is " to help you understand that He is your faithful Shepherd who will protect and guide you and to help you trust that He will provide for your physical and spiritual needs." 

Psalm 23 is one of the most well-known texts in the Bible as David - who is a shepherd himself, and of course understands the role of a shepherd - praises God for how He loves us, guides us, cares for us, and provides for all of our needs, including physical (v5), emotional (vv2-4,6), and spiritual needs (vv1,3). 

Genesis 22:9-14 is also a well known text, yet there are nuances in this text we must recognize.  Abraham followed the call of God in Genesis 12 to leave his land and "go to a land God will show him." God makes a covenant with Abraham that he and Sarah will have a son, and although they grow impatient waiting, ultimately in Genesis 21 Abraham and Sarah do give birth to a son Issac.  As Isaac is a young boy, God calls Abraham again, this time to sacrifice Issac, and Abraham is obedient as he leads Isaac up the mountain to do as God calls.  Yet at the last minute, just as Abraham is set to slay Issac, the angel of the Lord called out to God to stop Abraham and provided a ram to take the place as a sacrifice instead of Isaac.  We must recognize that God provided not just the ram to sacrifice, but also the faith it took for Abraham to be willing to make such a sacrifice, and ultimately how God provided Jesus to take the place for us as sacrifice for our sins (John 3:16).  God provides!

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of grace and compassion for me, providing for all of my needs, and sacrificing Yourself so that I, and all believers can have life now to the full, and for eternity in Heaven.  Thank You Jesus for my salvation and for such incredible blessings!  I am not deserving of such love and blessings.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please continue to heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.