Thursday, May 2, 2024

But when the archangel Michael, contending with the devil, was disputing about the body of Moses, he did not presume to pronounce a blasphemous judgment, but said, “The Lord rebuke you.”

Jude

But when the archangel Michael, contending with the devil, was disputing about the body of Moses, he did not presume to pronounce a blasphemous judgment, but said, “The Lord rebuke you.” Jude 9

I proceed with my study of Jude using the Christ-Centered Exposition commentary series volume for this book.  Today, my study consists of a review of Jude 8-10, with a focus on an unassisted review of the second division per the commentary - v9.  First, to learn more about Michael, I read other references to him in scripture, including Daniel 10:13, 21, 12:1, and Revelation 12:7. In Daniel 10, where Daniel has a vision of end times, Michael is a chief prince that helps Daniel understand what is yet to come; he also stands by God's side as conflict during end times begins. In Daniel 12, Michael, during end times, has charge responsibility for the Jews. In Jude, Michael is an archangel - a high ranking angel.  In Revelation 12, Michael fights back against Satan during end times. While Michael is seen as an angel of God, he is NOT God and so can only perform duties assigned to him and deliver messages from God - he also does not have authority to judge as only God does.  So we see Michael not presuming to usurp God's authority as Judge but instead delivers a message from God to Satan that "The Lord rebuke you." Michael usurping God's role might be seen as blasphemous, another example of the behavior Jude warns about. 

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of grace and compassion for me - giving me Your Word to guide me and to change me, and also to reveal Yourself to me and to speak to me.  Thank You Jesus for guiding me in Truth so that I can withstand the sinful influences of the world.  I am not deserving of such blessings as my sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.