Wednesday, May 1, 2024

Yet in like manner these people also, relying on their dreams, defile the flesh, reject authority, and blaspheme the glorious ones.

Jude

Yet in like manner these people also, relying on their dreams, defile the flesh, reject authority, and blaspheme the glorious ones. Jude 8

I proceed with my study of Jude using the Christ-Centered Exposition commentary series volume for this book.  Today, my study consists of a commentary-assisted review of Jude 8-10, with a focus on the first division - v8.  V8 is an example where Jude points to lives we should not emulate and avoid the influences these lives pursue - self-satisfying (vs seeking pleasure in the Lord), sexual immorality, seeking glory for oneself (vs submitting and surrendering first and foremost to God, and then to earthly authorities God places in our lives), and blaspheming God and Christians. The commentary immediately highlights how the contemporary church too often mimics the world and its views and this is what Jude warns us about.  We are referred to 1 Peter 1:16 and 2:9 where the church is called to be holy and set apart from the world.  The commentary describes how in v8 we see sins of rebellion against God and His sovereignty.  This is squarely an issue today in the world as God's authority is roundly rejected in favor of anything goes morality. V8 is connected to v7 where God's destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah is referenced. False teachers claim authority they do not have - using freedom from Old Testament rituals as an example of this freedom - but they went too far with this freedom.  We are owned by God, bought with a price (see 1 Corinthians 6:19-20) and we exist solely to bring glory to God.  The commentary shares: "Jude rejects such unbiblical defiance, and so should we. The resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead establishes him as the one with all authority in heaven and on earth...and those who are called by his name gladly submit to this authority for their good and his glory."  We are encouraged to abide in Proverbs 29:18 where true freedom lies in obedience to God (vs being slaves to sin).

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God and You give me and other believers true freedom - freedom from sin and death, and this gives me life to the full now and for eternity with You in Heaven.  What amazing gifts - the most amazing anyone could ever have.  I am undeserving of such gifts and blessing as my sin continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me turn from and overcome such sin and turn towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.