Tuesday, May 14, 2024

But you must remember, beloved, the predictions of the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ. They said to you, “In the last time there will be scoffers, following their own ungodly passions.” It is these who cause divisions, worldly people, devoid of the Spirit.

Jude

But you must remember, beloved, the predictions of the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ. They said to you, “In the last time there will be scoffers, following their own ungodly passions.” It is these who cause divisions, worldly people, devoid of the Spirit. Jude 17-19

I proceed with my study of Jude using the Christ-Centered Exposition commentary series volume for this book.  Today, my study consists of a review of Jude 17-23, with a focus on an unassisted review of the first division per the commentary - vv17-19.  In light of the false teachers he warns us about in vv1-16, Jude then moves to remind believers that he is not alone in his warning of these sinful influences in our churches and in the world. Specifically, the warning offered by Peter in 2 Peter 3:3 provides near the same as that by Jude.  The world is full of sin and the church is no exception - we must be on guard for false teachers.  To guard against false teachers, we must have a hunger and thirst for righteousness (see Matthew 5:6), saturate ourselves in the Word as Paul does (see link here from Chuck Swindoll devotions), then rigorously examine the Word, including via commentary resources (see here for post on scoffers and how they are depicted throughout scripture), pastors, and our brothers and sisters in Christ in our church who sharpen us and provide Biblical insights and teaching.  We must do as the Bereans did in Acts 17 where they "received the word with all eagerness, examining the Scriptures daily to see if these things were so" (v11). 

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who has provided many resources for me to understand Truth.  You provide the Word of God itself, the Holy Spirit, and many other resources such as commentaries, pastors, my church, my brothers and sisters in Christ...and so much more.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such blessings.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Help me serve You, my church, my family, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.