Thursday, May 23, 2024

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.

 Psalm 23 and Genesis 22:9-14

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. Psalm 23:4

I continue my pause of my study of Jude to use Tony Evan's The Power of God's Names sermon outline series - maintaining focusing on Message Four: Jehovah Rohi and Jehovah Jireh.  Today, I continue to focus on those sermon notes that stand out to me.  This time, Sermon Point #5 in particular stands out: Trust That Your Shepherd Will Protect You and Take Away Your Fear.  Fear or anxiety is driven by unbelief in a God that is Your Shepherd, knows Your every need and provides - Jehovah Rohi and Jehovah Jireh. God want us to remain steadfast in our faith.  The text in Psalm 23 and Genesis 22 demonstrate both Jehovah Rohi and Jehovah Jireh, as does text elsewhere. John Piper, in this message, uses Matthew 6 - in particular v32 - to further illustrate how we can battle unbelief by resting in God and His promises. Piper shares: "[f]or example, at the end of verse 32 he says, “Your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things shall be yours as well.” That is a spectacular promise. In everything you do at home and at work, put God’s purposes first, and he will provide all you need to live for his glory. Believe that promise, and financial anxiety will evaporate in the warmth of God’s care."

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus - Jehovah Rohi and Jehovah Jireh - thank You for how You care and guide me, leading me through good and bad times, protecting me, and providing for all of my needs - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of these blessings - no one is.  I continue to sin, every single day...please help me God with my sin, forgive me, and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please continue to heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.