Tuesday, May 21, 2024

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD forever....So Abraham called the name of that place, "The LORD will provide"; as it is said to this day, "On the mount of the LORD it shall be provided."

Psalm 23 and Genesis 22:9-14

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD forever....So Abraham called the name of that place, "The LORD will provide"; as it is said to this day, "On the mount of the LORD it shall be provided." Psalm 23:6, Genesis 22:14

I continue my pause of my study of Jude to use Tony Evan's The Power of God's Names sermon outline series - maintaining focusing on Message Four: Jehovah Rohi and Jehovah Jireh.  Today I begin to unpack the sermon notes.  First, we level set on the names of God: 

  • Jehovah Rohi: The Lord is my Shepherd; while many places in the Bible point us to attributes of a shepherd and how is our Shepherd, few are as explicit as Psalm 23 in describing how God is our Shepherd.
  • Jehovah Jireh: God provides. God provides not just physical needs, but also emotional and spiritual needs.  Also, when we look at both names of God together we must acknowledge that there may be periods of our lives when God is caring for us, leading us through something, and providing something that we may not be able to see, perhaps not even during our natural live.  Issac needed to survive, because Jacob and Judah follow him, and ultimately - many generations later, Jesus follows this line (see genealogy in Matthew 1).  Abraham was not able to see this far into the future, nor are we.  But Abraham was able to have faith that God would provide for all of his needs and be faithful to fulfill the covenant God made with Abraham that from his line would be a great people.  Abraham is not the only one from scripture who was able to rest in how God provides - Joseph, Daniel, etc.   We should understand Isaiah 55:8 where it says God's thoughts and ways are not like ours.  

Although we are not able to think, see and do as God can, we can rest in how God cares for us as our Shepherd.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of grace and compassion for me - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of how You are my Shepherd and how You provide for all of my needs.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please continue to heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin. Help me serve You, my family, my neighborhood and the world.  Help me understand, apply, and be obedient to Your word for me today and every day.