Friday, May 3, 2024

But when the archangel Michael, contending with the devil, was disputing about the body of Moses, he did not presume to pronounce a blasphemous judgment, but said, “The Lord rebuke you.”

Jude

But when the archangel Michael, contending with the devil, was disputing about the body of Moses, he did not presume to pronounce a blasphemous judgment, but said, “The Lord rebuke you.” Jude 9

I proceed with my study of Jude using the Christ-Centered Exposition commentary series volume for this book.  Today, my study consists of a review of Jude 8-10, with a focus on a commentary-assisted review of the second division per the commentary - v9.  The commentary first describes this text as "one of the most mysterious and difficult verses in the Bible to interpret. Its application is easier to grasp, but the exact meaning Jude intended is elusive and even troubling to some."  The commentary then gets to the actors in the text including Moses (leader of Israel) and Michael (see post yesterday).  Next, the commentary shares how this verse, according to most Biblical scholars, refers to a non canonical book The Assumption of Moses where it is hypothesized that Satan perhaps sought Moses body as a relic of idol worship, or perhaps for other reasons.  We are encouraged to lean on sources to understand scripture where-ever the sources may take us - this does not add or subtract from truth but gives us greater insight into truth.  Regardless of what Satan may have been doing here - we can all agree that Jude's writings - like all scripture - is divinely inspired and perfect.  Most important here for Bible readers and believers is the application and that is more clear and the commentary emphasizes how (like my post yesterday) believers are to understand our "place in God's economy."  The commentary shares: "As great as [Michael] is, he knows his proper place in God’s plan—something false teachers have failed to grasp. He is not his own authority, master, or lord. He does not set policy and make up the rules as he wishes. No arrogance, haughtiness, rebellion, or pride runs through his angelic veins.  Michael's words to rebuke Satan come from Zechariah 3:2 (where Satan is also rebuked). The commentary concludes by sharing that "[o]ur authority for spiritual warfare is in God, not in ourselves. In our own strength the devil will defeat us every time. Perhaps Michael could have taken on the devil, given who he is, but he did not because he knew the true source of his authority. In our case, to battle Satan without help is sheer folly." Help us have confidence in God and not in ourselves.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are a great God who loves me and who helps me understand scripture and how it speaks to me - I seek to understand Truth and not add or subtract to truth so You give me my church, my brothers and sisters in Christ, and other blessings to sharpen my understanding of Truth. Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such love.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.