Saturday, May 25, 2024

He makes me lie down in green pastures.

 Psalm 23 and Genesis 22:9-14

He makes me lie down in green pastures. Psalm 23:2a

I continue my pause of my study of Jude to use Tony Evan's The Power of God's Names sermon outline series - maintaining focusing on Message Four: Jehovah Rohi and Jehovah Jireh.  Today, I review the sermon illustrations - specifically looking at two illustrations:

  • Our Shepherd is a Full-Service God: Tony Evans shares the analogy of everything these days is self-service and how we can do things on our own - for example we can use Web search engines, AI, or YouTube.  There is so much we can do on our own that we are easily tempted to forget how God provides for all of our needs and how apart from Him we can do nothing (Psalm 23:1, John 15:5).  We should go to God first for wisdom and direction through prayer and He will provide.  His response may not be what we initially sought, but God does provide and we should understand His thoughts and ways are not our own (Isaiah 55:8). 
  • Our Shepherd Gives Us Rest: Evans challenges us to see how God may be creating or allowing circumstances in our lives that force to depend on Him.  Evans writes: "Have you ever thought maybe the reason God hasn’t changed your situation is He’s forcing you to lie down? He’s making you stay right where you are until you have learned total dependency on Him." See Psalm 23:2a. 

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of grace and compassion - providing for me, giving me rest, and blessing me in SO many incredible ways.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such blessings.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of Your heart, soul and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please continue to heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others. Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.