Tuesday, May 28, 2024

As for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good, to bring it about that many people should be kept alive, as they are today.

Genesis 50

As for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good, to bring it about that many people should be kept alive, as they are today. Genesis 50:20

This morning, as I am in between studies - just ended study of Jude and my next study is TBD - I lean on DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotion, which today uses the life of Joseph to illustrate how faith helps produce patience.  For those familiar with Joseph's story, you know that Joseph (starting in Genesis 37) endured several hardships where he was solid into slavery and ultimately wrongly accused of a crime and imprisoned in Egypt.  However, Joseph did not resort to anger (which might lead to seeking revenge) towards those who wronged him.  Instead, he turned to God, who calls us, regardless of our circumstances, to trust Him.  In Potiphar's household, it says that the Lord was with him (Genesis 39:2-6).  While imprisoned, Joseph rightly shares that his gift of interpreting dreams is from God (Genesis 40:8 and 41:16).  When Joseph comes face to face with his brothers that originated his suffering, Joseph once again shares how God worked through this suffering for good...in his life and in the lives of his brothers (Genesis 45:5-7 and 50:20). The devotion emphasizes the key for Joseph (and for us all) and poses a challenge to us: "[w]hat would have been the key to patience for Joseph during all those long years of exile and abuse? The answer is: faith in God’s sovereign, future grace — the sovereign grace of God to turn the unplanned place and the unplanned pace into the happiest ending imaginable. That’s the key to our patience as well. Do we believe that God is working for us in the strangest and most painful turns of our lives?"

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are always at work - thank You Jesus for this and for never leaving or forsaking me.  I am not deserving of such blessings...my sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please continue heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.