Tuesday, May 7, 2024

Woe to them! For they walked in the way of Cain and abandoned themselves for the sake of gain to Balaam’s error and perished in Korah’s rebellion.

Jude

Woe to them! For they walked in the way of Cain and abandoned themselves for the sake of gain to Balaam’s error and perished in Korah’s rebellion. Jude 11

I proceed with my study of Jude using the Christ-Centered Exposition commentary series volume for this book.  Today, my study consists of a review of Jude 11-16, with a focus on a commentary-assisted review of the first division per the commentary - v11 - which the commentary describes with the title God Condemns the Ungodly Because of Their Decisions.  Scripture is full of examples of those condemned by God because of how they reject God.  False teachers, as describe by Jude, represent one such category of those condemned by God.  The commentary shares how these false teachers from Jude are "hateful, greedy, and rebellious."  They are compared by Jude to Cain as depicted in the commentary as "self-centered in character and consumed by self-love, [Cain] chose his way over God’s and in the process killed his brother. Guilty of fostering a man-made religion, he turned from God and turned on others."  Balaam is also used as a reference point by Jude for false teachers - the commentary points us to Numbers 22-24 where Balaam's story as a false teacher unfolds - he was simply seeking monetary gain. "People were a means to an end, and God killed him for it (see also Numbers 31:8)." V11 also describes Korah as a false teacher/leader who led the Israelites astray - Korah's story unfolds in Numbers 16. The commentary describes Korah as a "Levite who rejected the God-ordained spiritual authority of Moses and Aaron. As a result, God destroyed him, his household, and his followers. Like Korah, these men in Jude’s day were a law unto themselves, rebellious in heart and nonsubmissive in attitude. Like Korah, they would perish. Arrogance and pride are always on the radar screen for God’s certain condemnation."  We must always be on the lookout and be able to discern false teachers and teaching.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God that gives me Truth so that You can reveal Yourself to me, speak to me, sharpen me, and make me more like You.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of how You provide scripture and Truth.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.