Wednesday, May 29, 2024

All things are full of weariness; a man cannot utter it; the eye is not satisfied with seeing, nor the ear filled with hearing.

Ecclesiastes 1

All things are full of weariness; a man cannot utter it; the eye is not satisfied with seeing, nor the ear filled with hearing. Ecclesiastes 1:8

I start a new study today of Ecclesiastes using the Christ-Centered Exposition commentary series volume for this book.  Today, my focus is an unassisted review of Ecclesiastes 1:3-11, which per the commentary, is the first division of the first chapter of the commentary.  Solomon, referred to as the son of King David, authors this chapter of Ecclesiastes, where he writes about the emptiness of life, and how humanity, left to its own natural inclinations, falls prone to sin and sinful pursuits - separated from God.  This is certainly true since the Fall in Genesis 3 where sin entered the world and has followed ever since.  John 15 comes to mind where Jesus shares how He is the Vine and we are the branches.  In v5, Jesus shares how "apart from me you can do nothing."  We are encouraged to abide in Him.  We must remember that we exist to glorify God, and this broadly directs our lives as we seek to more specifically identify and develop our spiritual gifts and use them for His glory.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of grace and compassion for me...giving Your children spiritual gifts to develop and use for Your glory.  These gifts are then distributed among the church such that we can work in unity...again for Your glory.  Thank You for Your church and the community it provides, including prayer, encouragement, teaching, spiritual growth, etc.  What incredible blessings...thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such love and blessing.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul and mind and love others as You love me. Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please continue to heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.