Monday, May 13, 2024

These are grumblers, malcontents, following their own sinful desires; they are loud-mouthed boasters, showing favoritism to gain advantage.

Jude

These are grumblers, malcontents, following their own sinful desires; they are loud-mouthed boasters, showing favoritism to gain advantage. Jude 16

I proceed with my study of Jude using the Christ-Centered Exposition commentary series volume for this book.  Today, my study consists of a review of Jude 11-16, with a focus on a commentary-assisted review of the fourth division per the commentary - v16 - which is titled God Condemns the Ungodly Because of Their Deeds.  The commentary emphasizes how the text describes how our speaking reflects our heart condition: "the tongue is that organ of the body intimately connected to the heart and its desires" (see also James 3). The first word the text uses to describe false teachers is how they are grumblers or complainers.  When people grumble or complain - as the commentary compares to Israel in the wilderness - they are ultimately doing so at God because it is He who is in control.  We should not grumble or complain - see also this resource. The commentary warns us that complaints and grumblings in the church is a corrosive influence: it "is like a cancer and is deadly to an effective ministry and a healthy church life. It leaves them always judgmental and without joy."  The commentary then moves on to how the text describes those who follow their own sinful desires and how this is the source of their negative talk.  The insatiable desires of one focused solely on self runs counter to how we are to deny oneself and focus on satisfying God.  Finally, the commentary highlights how the text describes arrogant false teachers who make bold claims that are not scriptural - we must be careful to not add or subtract from the Word.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who gives me Your Word and faithful brothers and sisters who sharpen me in my hope to grow in understanding and obedience to the Lord.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such blessings.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me. Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.