Friday, May 10, 2024

It was also about these that Enoch, the seventh from Adam, prophesied, saying, “Behold, the Lord comes with ten thousands of his holy ones, to execute judgment on all and to convict all the ungodly of all their deeds of ungodliness that they have committed in such an ungodly way, and of all the harsh things that ungodly sinners have spoken against him.”

Jude

 It was also about these that Enoch, the seventh from Adam, prophesied, saying, “Behold, the Lord comes with ten thousands of his holy ones, to execute judgment on all and to convict all the ungodly of all their deeds of ungodliness that they have committed in such an ungodly way, and of all the harsh things that ungodly sinners have spoken against him.”  Jude 12-13

I proceed with my study of Jude using the Christ-Centered Exposition commentary series volume for this book.  Today, my study consists of a review of Jude 11-16, with a focus on an unassisted review of the third division per the commentary - vv14-15. Here in these verses, we continue to see how harshly God will deal with the false teachers described by Jude.  Jude writes how Enoch prophesied about the judgement of the wicked; while we don't know who specifically Enoch is referring to here, we do know that Enoch's judgement of the wicked is inclusive of those judged by Jude given Jude refers to those judged by Enoch as "also about these," implying there was a larger category of wicked to be condemned.  The sins of the wicked condemned by Jude (through reference to Enoch's prophecy) are described as deeds of ungodliness, committed by ungodly people in an ungodly way.  The word ungodly or ungodliness is used four times in two verses making it clear that God is not pleased with the false teachers described by Jude throughout his letter.  On the other hand, we can trust the prophecy of judgement by Enoch because Enoch "walked with God" (Genesis 5:24) and "pleased God" (Hebrews 11:5).   

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who gives me Your Word to guide me so that I can walk with You as I know I exist to bring You glory.  I am grateful for how You provide Your Word, my salvation and so many more blessings - of course I am undeserving.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.