Sunday, May 5, 2024

But these people blaspheme all that they do not understand, and they are destroyed by all that they, like unreasoning animals, understand instinctively.

Jude

But these people blaspheme all that they do not understand, and they are destroyed by all that they, like unreasoning animals, understand instinctively. Jude 10

I proceed with my study of Jude using the Christ-Centered Exposition commentary series volume for this book.  Today, my study consists of a review of Jude 8-10, with a focus on a commentary-assisted review of the third division per the commentary - v10.  The commentary emphasizes how humans often have "wrong thinking": "[a]rrogant and ignorant, [people] slander what they do not even know or understand—a reference to the angels of verse 8. Talking without thinking, without all the facts, and from emotion, pride, and selfish desires, they make themselves look like fools as they talk like fools." The commentary then goes on to describe how the fruit of wrong thinking which is the product of a heart not focused on God - we are referred to Proverbs 23:7.  The commentary then describes how false teaching can warp our heart towards God: [c]laiming a higher spiritual understanding, [false teachers] knowledge does not rise even above that of the animals. Claiming liberty and freedom, they are slaves and prisoners of their own lust and basic instincts. Claiming to be right, they could not be more wrong. Claiming to live for God, they live for themselves. Claiming to rise higher, they actually sink lower. Saying, “We are free in Christ,” they become chained and shackled by their own selfish desires, wants, and passions. Professing to exalt Christ, by their lives they embarrass him and bring shame to his name."  We are instead encouraged to be slaves to God as He owns us and this provides true freedom in Christ: "He died so that you and I would live for him (Philippians 1:21), and this will require that we are transformed by the constant renewal of our minds (Romans 12:2). Thanks be to God that he did not leave us in our ignorance!"  We are encouraged to hunger and thirst for righteousness (Matthew 5:6).

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of grace and compassion giving me a heart towards You.  Thank You Jesus! Yet I am undeserving of how You give me faith and my salvation.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and help love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my love, hunger and thirst for You and glorifying You.  Help Lisa and myself lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.