Friday, May 31, 2024

And I applied my heart to seek and to search out by wisdom all that is done under heaven. It is an unhappy business that God has given to the children of man to be busy with.

Ecclesiastes 1

And I applied my heart to seek and to search out by wisdom all that is done under heaven. It is an unhappy business that God has given to the children of man to be busy with. Ecclesiastes 1:13

I continue my study today of Ecclesiastes using the Christ-Centered Exposition commentary series volume for this book.  Today, my focus is an unassisted review of Ecclesiastes 1:12-18, which is the second division of Ecclesiastes chapter 1 per the commentary.  As a backdrop, Solomon, who (see 1 Kings 3) "loved the Lord....only he sacrificed and made offerings at the high places," prayed to God for wisdom and God not only gave him great wisdom, but also riches and honor.  1 Kings 3:14 shares that God also told Solomon "if you will walk in my ways, keeping my statutes and my commandments, as your father David walked, then I will lengthen your days."  God created everything (see Genesis 1) - the universe, the heavens, man and woman, all of its inhabitants (creatures, etc.) as well as wisdom and knowledge - yet God's plan from the very beginning was for all of this to be used for His glory and for everything to be done in service to Him.  Unfortunately, as Solomon looks back at his life (and then authoring this book), having fallen prey to sinful pursuits, he sees the futility of a worldly pursuit of knowledge and wisdom apart from God.  These things are not bad pursuits on their face, but when chased as an idol they become bad.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of grace and compassion - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of how You bless me.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please continue to heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.