Thursday, May 30, 2024

All things are full of weariness; a man cannot utter it; the eye is not satisfied with seeing, nor the ear filled with hearing.

Ecclesiastes 1

All things are full of weariness; a man cannot utter it; the eye is not satisfied with seeing, nor the ear filled with hearing. Ecclesiastes 1:8

I continue my study today of Ecclesiastes using the Christ-Centered Exposition commentary series volume for this book.  Today, my focus is a commentary-assisted review of Ecclesiastes 1:3-11, which per the commentary, is the first division of the first chapter of the commentary. The commentary shares the following in its introduction to commentary that unpacks Ecclesiastes 1:1-18 and 12:8-14: "[w]e are stuck in a monotonous prison where nothing we do really changes anything, and the only way to live a meaningful life in this meaningless existence is to find satisfaction and contentment in what God has given us."  The book of 1 Kings captures the story of Solomon, the author of Ecclesiastes, as he asks God for wisdom, is then granted wisdom, as well as great wealth and power.  Ultimately, this evolved into a life of sin and ungodly pursuits.  The commentary shares how Solomon's words in Ecclesiastes are just as relevant today as when first written: "[p]eople think to themselves all the time, If I could just have more money, more pleasure, or more success, then I would really be happy. Solomon had everything and tried everything, and in Ecclesiastes, perhaps at the end of his life, he tells us, 'No! All of that is meaningless.'" See also my post yesterday, where I am encouraged to read Ecclesiastes in the context of the Fall and with understanding and knowledge of the Gospel where believers know that we exist to glorify God and this purpose should drive all that we do. 

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of grace and compassion for me - thank You Jesus! I am not deserving of how You bless me - my cup overflows...again I am not deserving.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please continue heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.