Thursday, May 16, 2024

But you, beloved, building yourselves up in your most holy faith and praying in the Holy Spirit, keep yourselves in the love of God, waiting for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ that leads to eternal life.

Jude

But you, beloved, building yourselves up in your most holy faith and praying in the Holy Spirit, keep yourselves in the love of God, waiting for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ that leads to eternal life. Jude 20-21

I proceed with my study of Jude using the Christ-Centered Exposition commentary series volume for this book.  Today, my study consists of a review of Jude 17-23, with a focus on a commentary-assisted review of the second division per the commentary - vv20-21. Here, Jude pivots from warnings about false teachers to how believers should respond.  This pivot is marked at the start of v20 with "But you" as Jude begins to contrast how the false teachers are recognized with ungodly behavior (see post yesterday and previous posts on Jude).  Instead, believers are to take the following actions

  1. "build ourselves up" in faith: I am reminded of Paul's words from 1 Corinthians 9:25-27 where he likens himself to an athlete in training that focuses on strengthening himself and be disciplined in this training.  I am also reminded of a book on spiritual disciplines recently discussed in my church's Sunday school. 
  2. "pray in the Holy Spirit": one of the spiritual disciplines is to pray, to meditate on God's Word, listen to Him speak to you, and to make requests for yourself and others in prayer.
  3. "keep ourselves in the love of God": going to God daily, and throughout the day helps us stay focused on God with constant reminders of who God is and what He does for us.
  4. "wait for Jesus to return of Jesus": God will call believers home or return and until this time, we must be steadfast in our faith, looking forward to Heaven. 

 Lord Jesus, please help with all of these actions!

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of grace and compassion for me.  Thank You Jesus.  I am not deserving....my sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please continue to heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.   Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.