Saturday, May 18, 2024

And have mercy on those who doubt; save others by snatching them out of the fire; to others show mercy with fear, hating even the garment stained by the flesh.

Jude

And have mercy on those who doubt; save others by snatching them out of the fire; to others show mercy with fear, hating even the garment stained by the flesh. Jude 22-23

I proceed with my study of Jude using the Christ-Centered Exposition commentary series volume for this book.  Today, my study consists of a review of Jude 17-23, with a focus on a commentary-assisted review of the third division per the commentary - vv22-23 - Rescue the Wandering Who Are Lost.  The commentary for this division opens by describing how Americans have "commitment" issues to what scripture asks of us, including daily Bible study and prayer and sharing the gospel with others.  It then challenges us by stating that "[i]f we do not care if people are saved, we might also well consider whether we are saved."  Three types of people are described by Jude where we are called to show mercy and share the gospel: (1) those who doubt, including those who "waver, or struggle with the truth of the gospel and Holy Scripture because of the influence of false teaching. Such persons should not be rejected or ignored, ridiculed or harassed. With compassion and conviction, kindness and firmness, mercy and concern, we encourage them in the truth, patiently pointing them to Jesus and his all-sufficiency;" (2) those in danger, including those that are "situation, so close are they to the fires of hell and eternal condemnation....Sounding the alarm, Jude calls for quick and decisive action. It is almost too late; they are almost too far gone. However, there is still time to rescue them, but we must act now.  There is urgency in Jude’s voice. There is a heightened concern in his heart. I suspect there is a tear in his eye;" and (3) "This third group is in the most desperate condition of all. Having bought into the lies of false teaching, their lives are now corrupted as well. Both in how they think and how they live, they are corrupt, defiled, and depraved. They are a danger to themselves, but they are also a danger to others....Love them, show mercy, but don’t get too close, for even their clothes can defile you if you are not careful. They are carriers of a spiritual disease; sin has broken out all over them. We may still be able to reach them and rescue them, but we cannot get too close, nor can we become like them."  Show mercy!

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are SO good how You made me one of Your elect, Your children, thank You for Your amazing grace and mercy - for my salvation.  I am not deserving.  My sin is great and it continues...help me overcome and turn from such sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.