Wednesday, May 15, 2024

But you must remember, beloved, the predictions of the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ. They said to you, “In the last time there will be scoffers, following their own ungodly passions.” It is these who cause divisions, worldly people, devoid of the Spirit.

Jude

But you must remember, beloved, the predictions of the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ. They said to you, “In the last time there will be scoffers, following their own ungodly passions.” It is these who cause divisions, worldly people, devoid of the Spirit. Jude 17-19

I proceed with my study of Jude using the Christ-Centered Exposition commentary series volume for this book.  Today, my study consists of a review of Jude 17-23, with a focus on a commentary-assisted review of the first division per the commentary - vv17-19. Per the commentary:

Main idea for vv17-23: "Since there will always be false teachings, Christians should diligently watch for false teachers and seek to rescue all from their destructive message, even as they eagerly await the return of Christ."

Division and subdivisions for vv17-19:

  • Remember the Words of Our Lord
  • The presence of false teachers is certain
    • The portrait of false teachers is clear
    • They are scoffers, sensual, schismatic, and Spiritless

We are of course not surprised how the gospel is warped by many of our contemporaries, even within the church and this will continue until Jesus comes again.  Vv17-19 start with Jude urging us to remember the words of Jesus and His apostles.  We must also remember how false teachers are just as much a certainty as the gospel itself in terms of how it saves and it is Truth. On top of Jude's warning, the commentary points us to Matthew 7:15-23, 24:11,14, Acts 20:29-30, 1 Timothy 4:1-3, 2 Timothy 3:1-9, 2 Peter 2:1-3,12-22, and 1 John 2:18-23, 4:1-3.  We should be able to spot these false teachers as they focused on self vs God - the commentary shares how they: "laugh at, sneer at, and make light of God’s holiness and moral perfection. They joke about God’s righteous character and have no reverence for his purity....[and how they] [m]ock God’s law and moral precepts, these men walk according to their own ungodly lust....[and they] pursue anything that pleases their selfish desires. They live on the earthly plane, not the heavenly. They are not spiritual but carnal. For them lust is lord. Passion is their sovereign dictator." The commentary also shares how false teachers can be identified by how they cause divisions in the church and how they remain lost and Spiritless, as we are referred to Romans 8:9 and Titus 1:16.  See also my post yesterday. 

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who provides Truth so that I can know You, follow You, be sanctified by You, and ultimately saved by You.  Thank for these blessings and so much more!  Of course I am undeserving.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me turn from and overcome my sin and turn towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.